Jeroen Linssen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The demo LOITER shows a serious game for the training of social skills of police officers. Players of the game have to resolve a conflict with a group of loitering juveniles. Through playing this game, police trainees can improve their social awareness. Players interact with virtual characters (the juveniles) in a 3D environment using a full-body immersive virtual reality system. The virtual juveniles use artificial intelligence to respond to the player according to theories from social psychology. Thus, players’ choices in how to reason with the juveniles determine the outcome of the conflict.
- Linssen, J.M. (2017). Meta Matters in Interactive Storytelling and Serious Gaming. PhD thesis, University of Twente.
- Linssen, J.M., Theune, M., de Groot, T.F., & Heylen, D.K.J. (2015). Improving social awareness through thought bubbles and flashbacks of virtual characters. Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Intelligent Virtual Agents (IVA 2015), 26-28 August 2015, Delft, The Netherlands, pp. 250-259.
- Linssen, J.M., Theune, M., Heylen, D.K.J., & de Groot, T.F. (2015). LOITER-TB: Thought bubbles that give feedback on virtual agents’ experiences. Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Intelligent Virtual Agents (IVA 2015), 26-28 August 2015, Delft, The Netherlands, pp.283-286.
- Linssen, J.M., & Theune, M. (2014). Meta-techniques for a social awareness learning game. Proceedings of the 8th European Conference on Games Based Learning (ECGBL 2014), 9-10 October 2014, Berlin, Germany, pp. 697-704.
- Linssen, J.M., de Groot, T.F., Theune, M. & Bruijnes, M. (2014). Beyond simulations: serious games for training interpersonal skills in law enforcement. In: Proceedings of the 10th annual meeting of the European Social Simulation Association (ESSA 2014).
- Linssen, J.M., & de Groot, T.F. (2013). AGENT: Awareness Game Environment for Natural Training. In Proceedings of the International Conference on the Foundations of Digital Games (FDG 2013). pp. 433-434.