In this WP we investigate the use of interactive storytelling techniques in serious games used for training purposes. Our focus is on providing artificial agents (“non-player characters” in the game) with social intelligence to support training. That is, the agents need to be able to send social signals and react to social signals sent by other characters in the game. Moreover, we are investigating how these characters can provide useful feedback to the player and adapt the experience to the player’s needs.
People: Mariët Theune, Jeroen Linssen, Thomas de Groot, Johan de Heer
- Linssen, J.M. (2017). Meta Matters in Interactive Storytelling and Serious Gaming. PhD thesis, University of Twente.
- Linssen, J.M., Theune, M., de Groot, T.F., & Heylen, D.K.J. (2015). Improving social awareness through thought bubbles and flashbacks of virtual characters. Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Intelligent Virtual Agents (IVA 2015), 26-28 August 2015, Delft, The Netherlands, pp. 250-259.
- Linssen, J.M., Theune, M., Heylen, D.K.J., & de Groot, T.F. (2015). LOITER-TB: Thought bubbles that give feedback on virtual agents’ experiences. Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Intelligent Virtual Agents (IVA 2015), 26-28 August 2015, Delft, The Netherlands, pp.283-286.
- Bruijnes, M., Linssen, J.M., op den Akker, H.J.A., Theune, M., Wapperom, S., Broekema, M., & Heylen, D.K.J. (2015). Social Behaviour in Police Interviews: Relating Data to Theories. In Francesca D’Errico, Isabella Poggi, Alessandro Vinciarelli, Laura Vincze (editors), Conflict and Negotiation: Social Research and Machine Intelligence, p. 317-347. London: Springer Verlag.
- Linssen, J.M., & Theune, M. (2014). Meta-techniques for a social awareness learning game. Proceedings of the 8th European Conference on Games Based Learning (ECGBL 2014), 9-10 October 2014, Berlin, Germany, pp. 697-704.
- Linssen, J.M., de Groot, T.F., Theune, M. & Bruijnes, M. (2014). Beyond simulations: serious games for training interpersonal skills in law enforcement. In: Proceedings of the 10th annual meeting of the European Social Simulation Association (ESSA 2014).
- Linssen, J.M., & de Groot, T.F. (2013). AGENT: Awareness Game Environment for Natural Training. In Proceedings of the International Conference on the Foundations of Digital Games (FDG 2013). pp. 433-434.